Wednesday, August 31, 2005

W1100z

I've got new workstation on my office desk! Actually it arrived two weeks ago but I had not much time to completly migrate my enviroment from old workstation (Sun blade 150) to this new one - W1100z. This one has AMD Opteron 150m 2GB RAM, with two internal disks (mirrored), 19" LCD Sun's monitor, DVD dual-layer burner :)))

I've been (well, I did...) working on my old workstation using Solaris 9 with CDE - it's been really STABLE enviroment and I mean it. I've been using it every day for my job (and notebook for WWW) and it has uptime of over 660 days! I haven't even logout from X session (CDE) for the same time period. Additionally some users were working remotly on this workstation.


bash-2.05$ uptime
8:35am up 663 day(s), 22:13, 5 users, load average: 0.25, 0.25, 0.30

bash-2.05$ ps -ef -o comm,etime|grep Xsun
/usr/openwin/bin/Xsun 662-21:48:03


I know it's silly but I feel sorry I have to turn it off - such a lovely uptime for a workstation. Anyway they are people waiting for this one so I'm gonna migrate completly to new one in next few days.

On my new workstation I put Solaris 10 with NVIDIA drivers Thanks to NVIDIA HW OpenGL and I'm going to try JDS instead of CDE. Well, I'm not expecting the same stability as with CDE but maybe it's good enough. And CDE is getting obsolete anyway. It's been working quite well for last two weeks (except some FireFox crashes everything else is working properly). I tried mplayer from BlastWave - works ok, but I decided to compile it myself so I get xv and CPU extensions - works just great. Xine is working too, so is Xmms. Playing four divX movies at the same time using mplayer is cool :) is working. Burning DVDs also works.

So far so good.

btw: I really like the way disks or DVD/CD are mounted in this system - no screwdrivers - for disks you get special bracket, for DVD/CD there's quite simple and clever solution - anyway no screwdrivers.

This workstation is really fast - I love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

care to give us a quik insight what you had to do to configure xine on10x86...

i'm sure there would be quite a few appreciative folk.

kind regards