Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Evil Marketing

As a techie I'm always stunned by IBM marketing... Then how many times have I read in IBM's manuals that Solaris supports only 32 LUNs or why Opterons are bad and Xeons are better (2 years ago) just because they didn't sell them back then. I don't know about you but I always value honesty. While marketing has its own rules IBM often cross the line. Too often for me.
Maybe its just that 'nobody got fired for buying from IBM' attitude in companies were techies have no say at all what company is buying and those managers are buying IBM marketing.

I don't want to say their HW is crap - honestly quite often it's good. It's just most over-hyped HW on the planet I guess and their technical documentation is hard to distinguish from marketing one. Then you should definitely check yourself all IBM's claims regarding that HW as you will quite often find it doesn't actually do what they said it will...

I totally agree with below statement:

Moral: Be VERY VERY CAREFUL when you read big blue.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the name of the company delivering 89.6 Ghz of parallel computing power on a single chip? Er...

milek said...

Right. But there's that line when IBM seems to be crossing too often.